Need an edible paste for making intricate yet strong sugar pieces for your cakes or gingerbread houses? Pastillage could be just what you are looking for?
This version can be called Quick Pastillage.
Any of my favourite recipes are at least vegetarian and sometimes vegan. So you won’t find any of these recipes on my site that have gelatin.
- 1 egg white
- 11-12 oz sifted icing sugar
- 2 tsp gum tragacanth
- Using a table mixer with a spotlessly clean mixer bowl, gradually add the icing sugar to the egg white. Beat well until you have incorporated enough icing sugar to create a stiff consistency royal icing.
- Leaving the royal icing in the bowl level the top of it and then sprinkle the gum tragacanth evenly over the icing.
- Let this sit for 10 minutes.
- Dust your work surface with icing sugar, place the icing on it and incorporate whatever icing sugar you have remaining.
- Wrap in saran and place in a freezer bag. Store on counter in an airtight container.
This recipe is quite a lot like gum paste because of the gum trag. But it's STRONG.
Use powdered colour to colour this paste.