Need an edible paste for making intricate yet strong sugar pieces for your cakes or gingerbread houses? Pastillage could be just what you are looking for?
Any of my favourite recipes are at least vegetarian and sometimes vegan. So you won’t find any of these recipes on my site that have gelatin.
- 450g/ 16 oz icing sugar (sifted if lumpy)
- 22.5g/ 1.5 tbsp tylose
- 60ml/ ¼c warm water
- Place icing sugar and tylose in a spotlessly clean mixer bowl. (no grease!) Run mixer on low to blend the two.
- Dust your kneading surface with cornstarch to prevent sticking.
- Add the warm water to the bowl and mix on low, then slightly faster speed until ingredients are blended. Don't take too long because Pastillage dries quickly.
- Turn out onto your prepped surface and knead until soft an pliable. Remember to work quickly to avoid it drying out.
- Wrap in plastic wrap twice and place in a zipper bag, getting rid of as much air as possible.
- Leave on your countertop for 24 hours before using. Will keep wrapped up tight about 6 months.
Use powdered colour to colour this paste.