Need an edible paste for making intricate yet strong sugar pieces for your cakes or gingerbread houses? Pastillage could be just what you are looking for.
Author: Lorrie Gauthier
- 450g/ 16 oz icing sugar (sifted if lumpy)
- 22.5g/ 1.5 tbsp tylose
- 60ml/ ¼c warm water
- Place icing sugar and tylose in a spotlessly clean mixer bowl. (no grease!) Run mixer on low to blend the two.
- Dust your kneading surface with cornstarch to prevent sticking.
- Add the warm water to the bowl and mix on low, then slightly faster speed until ingredients are blended. Don't take too long because Pastillage dries quickly.
- Turn out onto your prepped surface and knead until soft an pliable. Remember to work quickly to avoid it drying out.
- Wrap in plastic wrap twice and place in a zipper bag, getting rid of as much air as possible.
- Leave on your countertop for 24 hours before using. Will keep wrapped up tight about 6 months.