Modelling Paste is fondant/sugarpaste that is enhanced by adding gums. This makes it easier to shape and gives a bit more working time than using gum paste/flower paste.
Author: Lorrie Gauthier
Recipe type: Confectionery
- 450g/1lb fondant/sugarpaste (commercial or homemade)
- 1 - 2 tsp. CMC/Tylose powder
- Knead your fondant to get the kinks out of it. Make an indent in the ball of paste and place 1 tsp of the CMC. Knead it in.
- This is where you have to use your best judgement. If your fondant is a softer kind you will have to put in more of the CMC.
- You can use the paste straight away or let it rest 24 hours. It gets better with the extra time.
- Wrap well in plastic wrap twice and then store in a ziplock bag that you squeeze the extra air out of. Can be frozen.
The amount of CMC/Tylose that you will need depends on your fondant. Many brands are softer (Satin Ice, new Wilton formulation etc) and will need more. You may want a stiffer paste and will use more. If it's really humid you may need less.