Mexican Paste #2
This paste is by Marion Frost of Patchwork Cutters in the UK. I love this recipe. It's my go-to.
Author: Marion Frost
Recipe type: Confectionery
- 8 ounces (2 cups) icing sugar
- 3 teaspoons Gum Tragacanth
- 6 teaspoons cold water (plus or minus a tsp or so)
- Blend together sugar and gum trag in a bowl. Add water and mix with a heavy spoon until most of the sugar is absorbed. Pour onto a clean work surface and knead, picking up the extra bits of moist sugar as you knead, until the dough is smooth and pliable.
- Place in a sealed plastic bag and place that bag into another sealed bag. Leave overnight on the counter to cure. DO NOT REFRIGERATE! The paste will be very hard the next day. Break off a small piece and knead until soft before using.
You can keep Mexican Paste for up to 10 days as long as you knead it every 2-3 days. If you want to keep it longer, it freezes very well.