Mexican Paste has almost the same strength of pastillage but with a bonus of added working time.
Author: Lorrie Gauthier
Recipe type: Confectionery
- 8 oz. icing sugar
- 2 tsp. Gum tragacanth
- 2 tsp. CMC/tylose
- 1 tsp. Corn syrup
- ½ tsp. Shortening, melted
- 2 tbsp. Warm water
- Combine dry ingredients in your mixer bowl.
- Combine syrup, shortening, water; add to the sugar mix.
- Beat 1-2 minutes.
- Turn out onto your counter that has been sprayed with pan spray; knead until smooth and pliable. Add sugar and water as needed.
- Store well sealed, in an airtight bag.
- Paste is fine at room temperature for a few days. Refrigerate or freeze for longer storage.